Consider a cold day when you want something sweet but don’t want to drink coffee. However, your coffee maker is the only machine that would help you make a cup of hot chocolate. What would you do in that situation? Have you ever wondered if you can make hot chocolate in a coffee maker?
In this article, we will explain if you can make hot chocolate in a coffee maker or not. With the right ingredients, your coffee maker can make miracles, and we will show you that. So get your mugs and coffee makers ready and get ready to add some sweet and heart-warming taste to your life.
What Do You Need to Make Hot Chocolate in a Coffee Maker?
The key ingredient for making a cup of hot chocolate is cocoa powder. However, the taste of your hot chocolate can differ according to the type of cocoa powder you will use. These types are:
- Natural Cocoa Powder: Natural cocoa powder is the most common type of cocoa powder you can find in stores, and it is also the cheapest option you can go for.
In addition, you can find this type of cocoa powder under the name “unsweetened cocoa powder” or “baking cocoa powder.”
- Dutch-Process Cocoa Powder/Dutched Cocoa Powder: “Dutched” or “Alkalized” cocoa powders are less acidic than natural ones. Therefore, they are richer, mellower in taste, and darker.
- Black Cocoa Powder: This type of cocoa powder is mainly used for baking, but if you say that you only have black cocoa powder in your house, you can also use it to make hot chocolate. They have a non-bitter taste that you can’t find in natural or dutch ones.
However, you shouldn’t forget that they don’t have that chocolate-like taste.
Usually, if you were to make hot chocolate without a coffee maker, you would heat some milk with chocolate in a pan until your chocolate is melted, but since we are going to make hot chocolate in a coffee maker, we may not need milk or sugar.
However, according to your liking, once your hot chocolate is ready, you can also add sugar or light brown sugar, chopped chocolate, whipped cream, or little marshmallows to it. In addition to that, you can only get some hot chocolate mix and water.
Can You Make Hot Chocolate in a Coffee Maker?
Firstly, I must admit that the answer to this question can differ according to which type of coffee maker we are talking about. Of course, you can buy a hot chocolate machine to make a cup of hot chocolate, but you will be surprised to hear how easy it is to make hot chocolate in a coffee machine.
If your coffee maker is a;
- Single-serve coffee maker, you can easily make your hot chocolate by adding your hot chocolate mix instead of coffee grounds or coffee mix.
- Drip coffee maker, you need to remove your reusable coffee filter first. Once you’ve done this, you must make some hot water for your chocolate mix. After that step, you need to put your hot chocolate mix into the maker’s coffee pot, and then you can enjoy your delicious drink.
- Capsule coffee machine, you need to fill your water reservoir and get some hot chocolate capsules in the first step. After that, you need to put the capsule into the machine and wait for your hot chocolate to get ready.
- Espresso coffee maker, you can make hot chocolate in 2 ways, depending on the type of espresso coffee maker. If your coffee maker has a milk frother, you can make a creamy hot chocolate. To make a creamy hot chocolate, you need to steam some milk to add it your hot chocolate mix. After the mixture is dissolved, you need to add some hot water, and it’s ready.
- However, if your espresso coffee maker doesn’t have a milk frother feature, you can still make some hot chocolate while using your espresso coffee maker as a water heater. Once your water is heated, you can add your hot chocolate mix and enjoy your hot chocolate.
Hot Chocolate in a Coffee Maker Recipes
- Hot Chocolate Mix
- Fill your coffee maker with water.
- Next, put the hot chocolate mix into the coffee carafe and place it in its place.
- Hot Chocolate Mix
- Use your coffee maker as a water heater.
- Add hot water to your mix.
- Cocoa Powder
- Add cocoa powder instead of coffee.
- Wait for your coffee maker to get it ready.
- Steam some milk and mix them all.
All in all, as long as you have the right ingredients and a coffee maker, you can make hot chocolate as you like. However, it would be easier for me to heat some water and then add it to hot chocolate powder, but I liked the idea of buying a hot chocolate capsule for my capsule coffee maker. It would be super easy and practical to make it that way.
No matter what you choose, there are many ways to achieve that delicious hot chocolate taste. I hope this article helps you to find your way.